IQ - "Ever" {UK} [1993] (Prog (Neo))



IQ have been tagged by the press as Neo Progressive (a term I dislike). When I placed this CD in my drive CDDB gave it the tag Neo Progressive. I suppose Zen Carnival (my last post) would also fall into this category.

Tell me friends. Is Progressive 'Prog Or Not?' PLs leave replys in comments. Progressive is either progressive or not (oops did I say something similar earlier).

A real good band with very good sounds, tight arrangements and accomplished musicianship.

I am impressed by IQ on many of their albums I have heard - but this one sounds as if it was recorded earlier than it was and I like the tone behind it.

Members:

Peter Nicholls - Vocals

Mike Holmes - Guitars, KeyboardsMartin Orford - Keyboards, Backing vocalsJohn Jowitt - Bass guitar, Backing vocalsAndy Edwards - Drums

Tracklist:

1 - The Darkest Hour
2 - Fading Senses: After All / Fading Senses
3 - Out Of Nowhere
4 - Further Away
5 - Leap Of Faith
6 - Came Down

320 sampled.

6 comments:

  1. http://www.tiny.cc/iCKCJ
    http://www.tiny.cc/h7lSJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all your great posts.

    I would like to comment the term Neo Progressive. It is clear que Neo Progressive is just a label, a tag to help in the classification of music styles. Of course Neo Prog is Prog. But for some reasons beyond my understanding it was associated with crappy cheesy synth sounds and Genesis clones bands. Marillion and IQ were labeled as Neo Progressive and in the begining it was not meant to be offensive. At that time Classic 70s Prog were dead and buried, and then Marillion and IQ started it again. It was great ! Neo Prog meant a revival of the prog rock, but with a diferent starting point. In the end the label has been used to include a lot of diferent music, some very good and progressive and some not so much. But it happens everywhere. Just like any other tag, there are great neo prog music and crappy 70 prog music just like in any other music style. The important music is what you enjoy or not, and that is different for every person. So, what about a label ? It doesn't mean a thing.

    Sorry for my bad english, it is not my mother tongue.

    La Saciedad del Anhelo,

    Lima, Peru

    ReplyDelete
  3. IQ is excellent, this is a great IQ album and The Darkest Hour is one of IQ's greatest tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks to the person from Peru - You expressed yourself wonderfully and I think you expressed the Neo Progressive tag with perfecition.
    The only thing I dislike about Prog is the amount of metal that gets tagged as Prog when it really is not.
    Not that I am against Heavy Prog, I am just not a fan of Metal.

    Best Wishes - and thanks to all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree in regards to some metal being tagged as prog just because it has some keyboard parts and blinding fast guitar licks. In most cases it is just a showcase for virtuosity and technique. However there are a few cases of excelent crossbreeding of metal and prog. Most remarkable are the italian group A Piedi Nudi,the french Taal and some tracks of White Willow in their cd Storm Season. I am not against some intelligent metal aproaching the prog genre. In most cases, however, metal prog is just boring, or worse.

    Regards, and Happy New Year !

    La Saciedad del Anhelo,
    Lima, Peru

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many thanks again - I will look forward to finding copies of those bands and will be sure to give them a listen.

    ReplyDelete